Periodontal Therapy in Accra
At Bethel Dental Clinic, we take gum disease very seriously.
Gum disease is extremely common – and extremely damaging to your oral and overall health. Not only can gum disease cause your gums to appear red and irritated (which is less than attractive) and lead to eventual tooth loss, but it can also affect the rest of your body as well. Gum disease can spread through the bloodstream, complicating gum disease and contributing to heart disease. Periodontal therapy offers a solution to gum disease, often saving smiles and preventing more serious complications.
Symptoms of Gum Disease
So how do you know if you need periodontal therapy? Ultimately, it’s extremely important that you visit our office regularly for preventive dentistry exams; sometimes there are no symptoms of gum disease. However, if any of these symptoms become a problem, visit our Accra, Ghana dental office as soon as possible:
- Bleeding gums: This symptom is serious, so don’t ignore it.
- Tenderness and redness: Healthy gum tissue is a pink color. Redness or tenderness can be signs of a problem.
- Receding gums: If your teeth seem to look longer, this can be a sign that your gums are receding.
- Oral sores or pus: Pus is always a sign of infection and should be checked out immediately.
- Change in bite or loosening of teeth: Because gum disease can cause the gum tissue to separate from teeth, teeth will begin to shift.
What is periodontal therapy?
Periodontal therapy is how we treat gum disease. We will thoroughly clean the pockets around your teeth, getting below the gum line to remove infection-causing bacteria. We will then smooth the tooth root. This makes the area less hospitable to bacteria and debris going forward, preventing recurrences of gum disease.
If it’s been a while since your last dental exam, or you’re experiencing symptoms of gum disease, contact Bethel Dental Clinic in Accra, Ghana for an appointment. We serve patients from all around Accra and all over Ghana.